Turkey Bread CenterpieceFrom annieamie 5 years ago
- 1¼ cups warm water (80°F) shopping list
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons dry milk shopping list
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 1½ teaspoons salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter shopping list
- 1¼ teaspoons bread machine yeast or fast rise yeast shopping list
- Decorations: shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 tablespoon water shopping list
- 1 raisin shopping list
How to make it
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Bread Machine Method: Place the ingredients in the pan in the order listed and select the Dough or Manual setting and press start. Check dough after 5 minutes. Dough should form a ball around the kneading blade. If it is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water; if too wet, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. When cycle is completed, remove dough from machine.
- Traditional Method: Dissolve yeast in water (110° to 115°F) and mix in the remaining ingredients. Knead dough 7 to 8 minutes. Cover; let rise until double. Punch down dough, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Frozen Dough Method: Thaw 1 1/2 pounds of frozen bread dough, following manufacturer’s instructions, but keep dough cold.
- To shape turkey: Divide dough in half. Form one-half into a ball and flatten with rolling pin into a 6-inch circle. Place on greased baking sheet.
- Cut remaining half into ten equal pieces; shape into balls. Form eight of the balls into teardrop shapes about 4 inches long. Flatten with rolling pin. Using scissors make clips on sides and top to form feathers. Place around turkey for tail feathers.
- For head and neck, roll one ball into an 18- inch rope. Twist rope; fold in half. Using fingers make a 3-inch vertical indentation in the body. Place rope in the indentation placing fold at bottom. Curve top so it resembles a candy cane, pinching ends together to seal.
- Cut remaining ball into two pieces; flatten each into 2-inch circles. Cut wedges out to form feet. Tuck top of feet under body.
- For beak, take scrapes of dough and flatten. With scissors, cut a diamond shape; fold in half; position in curve of head.
- For eyes, flatten raisin and cut in half. On each side of beak, clip dough with scissors and place raisin in cuts.
- Beat together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water; using pastry brush, brush entire surface with mixture.
- Let rise 25 to 30 minutes or until almost double. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. (If one area browns more quickly cover with foil and continue baking.)
- Place on cooling rack and let dry at room temperature for several days. Use a picture holder to stand up turkey. Decorate table with turkey surrounded with fall fabric, leaves, wheat stalks, pumpkins and flowers.
- * If you plan to eat the “turkey” as part of your meal, do not let dry, but serve as soon as it is cooled.
- Happy Thanksgiving!!!
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookannieamie Los Angeles, US
The Rating6 people
Thanks, annieamie for taking the time to share this creative recipe!rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
That is so creative and cute! Thanks so much for sharing it, Annieamie. :) Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it
Wow, Annie, this is super and so beautiful!!! Added this to a "Decorative entertaining" group for you.juels in Clayton loved it