Carrot Cream Soup With Cream Cheese Dumplings - Mohrencremesuppe Mit KlosschenFrom luisascatering 7 years ago
- For soup: shopping list
- 3 T. unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and chopped shopping list
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste shopping list
- 3 cups homemade vegetable stock (recipe follows) shopping list
- 1 cup Riesling (or a dry white wine) shopping list
- 1 tsp. sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- kosher salt, freshly grated nutmeg and white pepper, to taste shopping list
- chives for garnish shopping list
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ shopping list
- homemade vegetable stock: shopping list
- 1 leek. sliced and rinsed clean shopping list
- 3 medium sweet onions, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed and chopped shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, rinsed and chopped shopping list
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, rinsed and quartered shopping list
- 2 roma tomatoes, rinsed and quartered shopping list
- 1 head fennel (about 1 lb.), rinsed, and chopped shopping list
- Handful fresh parsley shopping list
- Handful fresh thyme shopping list
- Handful fresh oregano shopping list
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns shopping list
- sea salt to taste shopping list
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~For Dumplings: shopping list
- 8 oz. natural cream cheese shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/2 c. homemade breadcrumbs, dried and finely ground (or panko, works for me!) shopping list
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, minced shopping list
- kosher salt, freshly ground nutmeg and black pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- For homemade vegetable stock:
- Place leek in an 8- to 10-quart pan. Add onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, fennel, parsley, thyme, oregano, peppercorns, salt and enough water to cover vegetables (about 2 qt.). Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, adding water as needed to keep vegetables barely covered.
- Line a colander with a layer of cheesecloth (or use a large, fine wire strainer); set over a large bowl. Pour stock mixture into colander and drain vegetables well; discard vegetables. Reserve stock for use.
- To make the Carrot Cream Soup:
- Melt the butter in a 4 quart saucepan and sauté the onion for several minutes. Add the carrots and potato and cook for another 3 minutes. Do not brown. Add the lemon juice, wine, broth and a half teaspoon of sugar (optional) and bring to a boil. Simmer for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Make dumplings in the meantime.
- To make the Cream Cheese Dumplings:
- Bring a large pan of water to just under a boil.
- Mix all dumpling ingredients in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. If the dough is too thin to form into dumplings, add more bread crumbs.
- Using two teaspoons, form dumplings by taking about 1 tablespoon of dough in one teaspoon and using the second teaspoon to smooth the dumpling. If you transfer the dough several times between the two spoons, you will form a triangular egg shaped dumpling that is common in German cuisine. If you would rather, you may also just form smooth, round balls using your hands---but it looks way cooler to make "quinelles" ;-)
- Drop the dumplings into the simmering water and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, or until done. Dumplings are done when they float to the surface and are firm all the way through. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain.
- Puree the soup in a blender in 2 batches or with a hand blender (immersion blender) in the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Place 3 dumplings in each bowl. Garnish with some chopped chives and serve hot.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating8 people
I have friends from Germany that I would love to share this with.
Speechless is all I will say about this.
I am in awe of the beauty of the recipe for its contents and execution and also the history.
You can take your bow now Luisa.
moretrigger in loved it
I think Michael said it all! My thoughts exactly! My husband and I are German and we also love German food! This is a real winner. Thanks Luisa and have a great new year!meals4abby in Valders loved it
Oh Luisa, this absolutely looks and sounds divine! I've never had cream of carrot soup, so I just may give it a try. I especially like the use of the listed herbs, and the cheese dumplings! Could you perhaps suggest a non-alcohol alternative for the ...morelori4flavor in Chicago loved it