Irish MeltFrom notyourmomma 7 years ago
- 8 thick slices of hearty rye bread, preferable 3/4 inch or so shopping list
- 16 -24 slices of corned beef from the deli, not shaved thin shopping list
- 1/4 cup of grainy mustard shopping list
- 1 tbsp of horseradish shopping list
- 3-4 tbsp of good butter softened shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of caraway seed shopping list
- 2 large apples cored and grated on coarse side of grater shopping list
- 2 cups of coleslaw mix shopping list
- 1 yellow onion, slivered shopping list
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp of melted butter shopping list
- 16 thin slices of sharp cheddar shopping list
How to make it
- Cut bread, broil until lightly toast on both sides.
- Mix the mustard, horseradish and softened butter, set aside at room temp.
- Melt remaining tbsp of butter in skillet, add onion and cook until translucent.
- (Grate the apple cored but unpeeled against the coarse side of the grater, you can grate right up to the skin and get just apple flesh, it is easier to do with the skin left on)
- Add apple, caraway, brown sugar and cole slaw mix to the skillet.
- Saute over med heat until wilted and tender.
- On a large cookie sheet, assemble the open face sandwiches.
- On top of toasted bread, spread with mustard butter combo.
- Top with equal portions of warm apple slaw.
- Top with two slices or so of corned beef per slice of bread.
- Top with slices of cheddar.
- Run under broiler until the cheese melts and bubbles.
- Pour yourself a nice pint of ale and enjoy. Cheers.
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
The Rating11 people
This has got to be the MOST Brilliant recipe
that I have read for'corned beef' for a long time on this 'Food Site'~!!!
ALL of the ingredients just 'meld' together to create a 'unique & delicious' Flavor experience ~
"5" F...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
I agree, I can't believe no one has thought of this before, because its brillent and its seems like I should have been making these for years!
I love it!!!asheats in BIG BEAR LAKE loved it
This is corned beef heaven..Great post..:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it