Buttery Baking Powder BiscuitsFrom krumkake 5 years ago
- 3 cups white flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar shopping list
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into slices shopping list
- ¼ cup solid shortening, such as Crisco shopping list
- 1 cup whole milk or half-and-half shopping list
How to make it
- Measure dry ingredients into a bowl, stirring ingredients to mix together.
- Add butter and solid shortening, and use a pastry blender to mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (or a couple of forks will work, too, but buy yourself a pastry blender if you don’t have one – they work so well for mixing biscuits!).
- Make a well in the center of the dough; pour in the milk or half-and-half.
- Stir together only until ingredients are moist – mixing as little as possible will help produce light, flakey biscuits.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it until it is mixed together (about 8 to 10 turns).
- Pat dough out to about a 1½ ” high circle, then use a 3” biscuit cutter (or a large glass) to cut biscuits – I usually get about 8 large biscuits.
- Place biscuits on lightly greased cookie sheet, about 2” apart, and bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes (watch the bottoms to be sure they aren’t burning, since temperatures vary greatly between ovens). If the bottoms appear to be browning too much, reduce heat to 400 and continue baking until done.
- Serve warm.
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating12 people
Is this a recipe that is rock proof? I have a problem with biscuits. Bread I am good with. Bicuits I turn into rock!quaziefly in ALL POINTS loved it
They look really light and fluffy, this is a keeper, Thanks Krum for another great one!!!gagagrits in Irmo loved it
These seem perfecto!! Thanks!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!