Andersons Split Pea Soup 50From elgourmand 5 years ago
- 8 cups water shopping list
- 2 slices smoked bacon, chopped shopping list
- 1 small clove garlic shopping list
- 2 cups green split peas shopping list
- 1 Rib celery, strings removed & coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 large carrot, chopped shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- Pinch basil (to taste) shopping list
- Dash red pepper (to taste) shopping list
- 1 Bay Leaf shopping list
- salt & fresh ground pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- • Place the bacon in a large soup pot and saute until cooked but not crisp
- • Add water, peas, celery, carrot, onion, Basil, red pepper, garlic and bay leaf to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- • Boil on medium heat for 20 minutes, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until split peas are tender, stirring occasionally; about 1 hr.
- • Let cool until you can touch the pot without getting burned.
- • Find & remove the Bay leaf then press soup through fine sieve, or work it over with a good hand blender, and reheat just to boiling point.
- This should serve 6 - 8 people and don’t forget the crackers. If you’re feelin fancy put a small dollop of sour cream on the soup when served. Now days everyone wants to make THICK split pea soup. You don't want it watery but too thick is a grung.
People Who Like This Dish 7
- notyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- heatherzap New Orleans, U.S.
- hungrynow Corralitos, CA
- mrseller Long Beach, CA
- mjcmcook Beach City, CA
- misslizzi Philadelphia, PA
- tinadc Cape Town, ZA
- dynie Marietta, OH
- jett2whit Union City, GA
- greekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookelgourmand Apia, WS
The Rating11 people
Sounds good to me!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
I saw this commentary on Tv! great share!midgelet in Eastern loved it
I love split pea soup and your recipe is a definite 5!peepers in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!