Scandinavian Custard Rice PuddingFrom krumkake 6 years ago
- Level ½ cup medium grain white rice shopping list
- 4 cups boiling water shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- dash of salt shopping list
- 3 eggs, beaten just slightly shopping list
- ½ cup sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 4 cups whole milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract shopping list
- dash of cinnamon, if desired shopping list
- yellow food coloring (not necessary - it is for eye appeal only) shopping list
How to make it
- Add rice to boiling water; boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain rice in a colander; rinse and drain well.
- Put rice into a well buttered baking dish; stir in the butter and salt.
- Mix the beaten eggs with the sugar and salt.
- Stir egg mixture into the milk (while my grandmother and mother’s recipe called for scalding the milk, that is not necessary in this day of pasteurized milk so I just use cold milk).
- Add the extracts, cinnamon and just a drop of food coloring; pour over the rice.
- Set rice dish in a larger pan that is half filled with hot water (be sure to use HOT water).
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60 to 90 minutes (center of pudding should still be jiggle-y in the middle, but rice must be done).
- NOTE: Stir rice every 10 minutes the first 30 minutes of baking.
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating5 people
This is a favorite of mine also ....my mom made it for me all the time ...and now I make it for my kids too...my hubby is scandanavian as well..and he loves all the food I cook..Thank goodness he's not a picky eater....LOLOLOL....have you tried this ...morepaprikamama in Lake Mary loved it
Another great recipe, Krumkake! I love that there is a custard topping on this dish. I love rice but rarely eat rice pudding but this recipe is going to be a keeper and one that will be made often here in our home. Thank you for sharing!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
YUMM! I can already feel this on my hips! Can't wait to try it ~ a grand high 5 for you, girl! Blessings, debdebntim in Outer Banks loved it