Shepherds PieFrom bonzaichef 8 years ago
- 25g/1oz dripping or 80ml olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1small tin chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 100g carrots, diced (optional) shopping list
- 100g assorted wild mushrooms, sliced(optional) shopping list
- 450g/1lb minced lamb-beef shopping list
- 125ml chicken, beef or lamb stock shopping list
- 100ml red wine shopping list
- 1 tsp anchovy essence(optional) shopping list
- 10ml/2sp Worcester sauce shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 sprigs of thyme shopping list
- 1 tbsp plain flour shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- FOR THE MASH TOPPING shopping list
- 700g/1 ½ lb potatoes shopping list
- 55ml/ 2 fl oz milk shopping list
- 75g/3oz butter shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
How to make it
- In a large non-stick casserole dish heat 1 oz of dripping or oil. Add the large onion and cook for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat a little olive oil and fry the mince up evenly and cook until browned. While the meat is frying, break up any lumps with the back of the spoon.
- Add the carrots and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- meanwhile, in the casserole dish stir the onions and add the wild mushrooms, 1 tablespoon of plain flour (this helps to thicken the juices) and stir. Mix well and add 2 bay leaves, 2-3 sprigs of thyme and the anchovy essence and stir.
- To the onion mix add the chopped tomatoes,red wine ,stock (keep a little aside, for putting into the mince pan to de-glaze) and Worcester sauce.
- Add the cooked mince & carrots to the onion mix and then pour the reserved stock into the empty mince pan, scraping off any bits of mince left in the pan. Pour the remaining stock into the pan containing the mince & onion mixture.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, adding a pinch of pepper and let it simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes, sieve and put into a bowl. Add the butter and egg yolk, and mash together. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the meat into an ovenproof dish and spread the mash on top, smooth over and mark with a spatula. Sprinkle some parmasan over the top if you wish.
- Put the dish into the oven-gas mark 6 until it is bubbling and golden.
People Who Like This Dish 52
The Cookbonzaichef Rochester, Kent., GB
The Rating14 people
bonzai you rock !! Shepherd's and Cottage pie bonus strike :) Way to go, mate :) Thanks for sharing, looks very yummy :) Yes, I got some worcestershire sauce left in my fridge, time to put it to use hehe :)meltingwok in Covina loved it
This is a very good recipe. I've made it twice and my husband just inhales it. It makes a goodly sized amount so Jack can heat up the leftovers at his leisure! :-) I've made a couple of comments about alterations I made the second time around wit...moreriverznnd in Nashua loved it
This turned out as the best dish I've ever made. Thank you!dictionaryduck in Newbury loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!