Cream Of Mushroom SoupFrom notyourmomma 9 years ago
- 1 lb. of white button mushrooms shopping list
- 1 lb. of crimini mushrooms (baby bellas) shopping list
- 1 oz. of dried shitake mushrooms (in produce dept.) shopping list
- 1 oz. container of dried imported Polish mushrooms(in the canned veggie department at my local super??) shopping list
- 3 large shallots, minced shopping list
- 4 tablespoons of butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup of flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup of vermouth (white) shopping list
- 1 package of frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and chopped shopping list
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme shopping list
- a pinch (I mean a little pinch) of powdered sage shopping list
- 1/2 teapoon of salt shopping list
- 8 to 9 grinds of fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 5 to 6 passes of fresh nutmeg on a microplane shopping list
- 24 ounces of chicken stock shopping list
- 8 ounces of heavy cream or half and half shopping list
- (In a pinch I've used a can of evaporated milk) shopping list
- Do not use buttermilk or skim milk, it will curdle and separate) shopping list
How to make it
- Slice the mushrooms. Heat some of the stock and soak the dried mushrooms at least 10 minutes to soften. Remove tough stems and dice.
- ***When I first started at Rollande et Pierre, the chef came by and dropped 30 lbs. of mushrooms on my station and said, "I need these sliced as soon as possible for our marinated mushrooms" It took me almost 4 hours. When I left the restaurant 3 years later, I could "get 'er done" in under an hour and keep up with all my salad and appetizer service. All it took was lots and lots of practice with a very sharp knife.*****
- Melt the butter in a very large saute pan, add the shallots and mushrooms and cook over med-high heat until the liquid is released, and reduced. Add more butter if it dries up to much. Sprinkle with flour and toast the flour over the heat until the raw taste is removed.
- Add the vermouth, artichokes, thyme and seasonings.
- Stir and cook to thicken the mushroom base slightly.
- Add stock and cream and cook another 30 minutes over low-medium heat to thicken and reduce slightly.
- Fish out the woody stems of the thyme before you serve this wonderful fragrant woodsy soup.
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
The Rating11 people
I love mushroom soup and so does my yougest daughter (2 1/2) this Im gonna try soon as she is my fresh soup girl...so I make soup twice a week...all kinds to....but this is different than mine....I take flour and add it to some canola oil in a pan an...morepaprikamama in Lake Mary loved it
This was insane.
Go get the ingrediants now so you can try it. NOW! ARGH! IT WAS SO GOOD IT NEVER MADE IT TO THE TABLE! NOM NOM NOM!plot_thickens in Alameda loved it
Wonderful!pleclare in Framingham loved it