Baked Eggplant-feta CasseroleFrom inmaculada 6 years ago
- 2 big eggplants or 6 small, lengthwise sliced, skins on shopping list
- 6 big red tomatoes, sliced shopping list
- 3 onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 chopped garlics shopping list
- 1 Tbsp mixed herbs (rosemary, thyme, basil..) shopping list
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese shopping list
- 3 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 1 cup light cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup skimmed milk shopping list
- 1 Tbsp flour shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- olive oil for drizzle and greasing the pan, about 1/4 cup shopping list
How to make it
- Wash, dry and cut eggplants.
- Arrange eggplants on large baking sheet (you may need to use 2 of them). Slightly brush slices with half the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Place under the grill on medium heat until lightly golden (5-10 minutes). They will finish baking later. Set aside.
- In a medium pan cook garlic and onions with 2 Tbsp of oil until transparent but not brown. Turn heat off and add herbs, parsley and crumbled feta cheese, mixing until cheese starts to melt. Taste and add salt if needed (onions are very sweet).
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- In a greased shallow baking pan or casserole put halt the sliced tomatoes, half of the pre-baked eggplants and ALL the feta and onion mixture. End with the rest of the tomatoes and eggplant slices.
- In a small bowl mix eggs, cream, milk, flour, salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully pour the mixture over the pan (you will may have some leftover mixture) and take it to the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, watching not to burn the top. If it starts to brown too much just cover it with foil.
- The mixture will never completely set because of the juices of the tomatoes, making the dish saucy in the bottom and very pleasant.
The Cookinmaculada Palma De Mallorca, ES
The Rating4 people
Too many great recipes !!!! I love them all but augergines are the best veggie! TY for post.mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
I'm off to the farmers market this week to buy some eggplant. We can get it all year here in Minnesota, but August it the time we get local grown vegetables. Everything tastes better when it is fresh from the grower rather than being shipped across...moredarlenel in West St Paul loved it
I sent this recipe to a Facebook friend who writes for the Minnapolis newspaper. I'm making this on Sunday for the family. I'm lucky to have son-in-law and grandchildren that are not picky eaters. I made bread from my favorite bread recipe book.
moredarlenel in West St Paul loved it