Chicken Soup Aka Jewish PenicillinFrom borinda 7 years ago
- 1 large roasting chicken, cut up for easier handling, plus gizzards shopping list
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut to 1" pieces shopping list
- 3 stalks of celery, cut to 1" pieces shopping list
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut to 1" pieces shopping list
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered, and sliced shopping list
- 1 bunch parsley, rinsed well shopping list
- 1 bunch dill, rinsed well shopping list
- water shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a large stockpot place the chicken, vegetables and water.
- Tie the parsley and dill together with chef's twine and dangle the end outside the pot for when you want to fish it out.
- Add water until everything is covered.
- Add some salt (more added at the end to taste)
- Bring this to a boil and then simmer for about three hours.
- **Be sure to turn the chicken occasionally to cook evenly.
- **Be sure to skim the foam off the top periodically.
- Add salt and pepper to season to taste.
- When this is done simmering you can serve up bowls of the broth plus some of the vegetables. Remove the herbs, just leave the loosened bits. The cooked chicken is great then but also makes THE tastiest chicken salad. (I love it in my already posted Easy Pasta Salad)
- If you enjoy a hearty soup puree all of the vegetables and serve with pieces of the chicken in it for a filling meal with bread or matzoh.
The Cookborinda SoCal, CA
The Rating8 people
thanks so much borinda!
looks great and easy...
it's that parsnip that i never would have thought of and i know this is exactly the recipe i have been looking for!...
yipee!softgrey in New York loved it
i made this today and it is FANTASTIC!!!...
it's warm and cozy and nourishing and flavourful and just perfect!
i am so excited...
i had to go out and came home to a house that just smelled like everything good.....moresoftgrey in New York loved it
This looks and sounds wonderful.. BUT.. do you have the matzoh recipe? That would be great.linebb956 in La Feria loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!