Smoked Onion and Garlic SoupFrom greekgirrrl 7 years ago
- 2 cups wood chips shopping list
- cooking spray shopping list
- 6 cups thinly vertically sliced yellow onion shopping list
- 15 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry sherry shopping list
- 3 (14-ounce) cans less-sodium beef broth shopping list
- 12 (1/2-ounce) slices French bread baguette, toasted shopping list
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Soak wood chips in water 30 minutes; drain.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to low and leaving one side with no heat. Maintain temperature at 200° to 225°.
- Place wood chips on hot coals. Place a disposable aluminum foil pan on unheated side of grill. Pour 2 cups water in pan. Place grill rack on grill. Fold a 24 x 12-inch sheet of heavy-duty foil in half crosswise to form a 12-inch square. Fold edges of foil up to form a rim. Coat foil with cooking spray. Place foil tray on a baking sheet; arrange onion and garlic on foil tray. Carefully place foil tray on grill rack over foil pan on unheated side. Close lid; cook 1 hour and 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil tray from grill; place on baking sheet.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture, thyme, tomato paste, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sherry and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 6 ovenproof soup bowls. Top each serving with 2 toast slices and 2 tablespoons cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating13 people
This sounds fabulous. Can't wait to try. Great post. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Ohhhh Yeahh, Nice twist on a classic...(Smoked Onions) High 5'sturtle66 in Sacramento loved it
I love onion and garlic. I can't wait to try this one!jencathen in loved it
Checkin Central283 members
Friends In The Kitchen314 members
TRAILER PARK BRAWLERS49 members
Heat In The Kitchen315 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
Grouprecipes Rocks149 members
Checkins Round Table39 members
To Err Is Human And Funny Too59 members