Elaines Home-Made Scotch Broth SoupFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
- About 1 – ½ lbs cooked lamb, coarsely cut. RESERVE THE BONES! shopping list
- 3 – 4 raw potatoes, medium sized, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 – ½ cups carrots, coarsely chopped shopping list
- approx ½ cup dried onions, or 1 cup fresh shopping list
- about 7 cups of chicken broth. It’s equivalent equals two boxes of ready-made, store-bought broth in the 900 ml tetri-packs if you have no homemade broth or stock shopping list
- ½ tsp salt. (For no salt recipe, use 1 tsp of McCormicks ‘No salt Added Citrus Pepper’) shopping list
- 1 –1/2 cups raw barley shopping list
- 2 oz dry red wine shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all ingredients into the stock pot and slowly bring to a boil.
- Reduce to half heat, stirring often.
- In another pot, put in the bones, and add about 2 cups of water.
- Add 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Bring to the boil rapidly, then reduce to simmer. Stir often.
- Allow to cook until the meat falls off the bones, and the broth is reduced.
- Remove all the bones, then add the bone broth to the stock pot.
- This soup is also very easily made in the slow cooker, and all measurements are the same.
- The vanilla might sound strange, but believe me, it heightens the flavor tremendously in the finished product!
- As for the wine, for those who do not use alcohol, have no concerns, as the alcohol is evaporated during the cooking process. The wine, like the vanilla, heightens the flavor of this hearty soup.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating42 people
ChefElaine, you've got a "5" fork winner here! I love home-made soups and this one has caught the eye of an Irish lass. Lamb stew with all those ingredients are a staple in our house during the ccccold winter months ;) Quite honestly, I prepare it al...morelor in Toronto loved it
ChefElaine, this soup sounds wonderful. I haven't had good Scotch broth in years. I can't wait to make this dish for my family and thank you for posting it. Thank you for the Friend's Invitation, too! Welcome aboard!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
Yummy soup I am Irish and Scottish. This recipe looks and sounds wonderful. thanks:)kimberry in Mesa loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!