Imperial Crab MeatFrom mountainmama 6 years ago
- 3/4 cup butter shortening, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper shopping list
- 2 (6 1/2 oz.) cans crab meat, drained thoroughly shopping list
- 2 tablespoons pimiento strips shopping list
- 1/2 cup All Purpose flour shopping list
- 4 cups milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder or ground red pepper, or to taste shopping list
- Dash worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs shopping list
How to make it
- HEAT oven to 375ºF.
- MELT 1/4 cup shortening in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in green pepper. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in crab meat and pimiento strips.
- MELT 1/2 cup shortening in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Blend in flour; cook until bubbly. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and thickens. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes.
- COMBINE mayonnaise, salt, mustard, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce in small bowl. Stir into hot sauce. Stir in crab meat mixture. Spoon into 6 shell ramekins or 10-ounce custard cups. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon crumbs. Place ramekins or custard cups on baking sheet.
- BAKE 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is lightly browned and bubbly. Sprinkle lightly with paprika, if desired.