F-16 Afterburner Hot SauceFrom jimrug1 6 years ago
- ½ dried Ancho Chile shopping list
- 1 fresh red Dutch; Thai, or jalapeno chile shopping list
- 16 fresh Scotch Bonnet or habanero Chiles; preferably orange or golden yellow shopping list
- 1 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion shopping list
- 4 Large cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 2 Tbls fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 Jiggers Amber rum shopping list
- 1 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 1 Tsp dried oregano shopping list
How to make it
- Submerge the Ancho in a pot of hot water and soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Chop Ancho finely and reserve.
- Roast and peel the Dutch Chile. Stem, seed, and finely chop the chile.
- Stem and seed the Scotch Bonnets, (WEAR GLOVES!!)leaving the inner membranes (and, if desired, a few seeds).
- Combine the Scotch Bonnets with Onion and Garlic in a food processor and process until very finely chopped.
- Combine Lemon Juice, Rum, and Vinegar in a nonreactive pan and bring to a boil. Pour liquid into processor, add the Oregano and Dutch Chile, and process lightly.
- Add the Ancho teaspoon by teaspoon, processing briefly in between, pulsing only enough to obtain a smooth, yellow-orange sauce, highlighted by red flecks. (Overprocessing or adding too much Ancho will result in a redder sauce, which is also quite beautiful.) Refrigerated, this sauce will keep up to 8 weeks.
- Serving Suggestions: Try this on Black Eyed Peas or Black Beans. It will also kick up any Caribbean style BBQ sauce and a few drops on a slice of Pizza is fantastic.
People Who Like This Dish 19
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating15 people
I have those kind of friends! 5*
Will test it on them and laugh! :) Thanks Jimgourmetana in London loved it
Wow!!!!!! my mouth is burning from reading this jim
16 scotch bonnets !!!!!!its like my recipe with 24 scotch bonnets no one will try it hahahahaha i did once in the caribbean and i wanted to drink up the ocean hahahahahaha............i love ho...moreminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Woo Hoo! A drop of this and I will be spitting fire! Great recipe!elgab89 in Toronto loved it