Russian Chocolate Strawberry CakeFrom juels 4 years ago
- For the Cake: shopping list
- 6 eggs, yolks separated from the whites shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp. corn starch shopping list
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- For the Cream: shopping list
- 500 gr. ricotta cheese shopping list
- 2 cups powdered sugar (add more if you prefer the cream sweeter) shopping list
- 2 tbsp. unflavored gelatine shopping list
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk (use a little more milk if needed) shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks shopping list
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, coarsely chopped shopping list
- For the chocolate Glaze: shopping list
- 2 semi-sweet chocolate squares (1oz each) shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp. shortening shopping list
How to make it
- For the Cake:
- Sift the flour, corn starch and cocoa powder together. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the egg yolks with half the sugar and vanilla extract. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks with the rest of the sugar in another medium bowl.
- Fold in 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolks, then carefully fold in the sifted dry ingredients. Add the rest of the beaten egg whites to the batter, folding carefully (this will help the batter to stay light).
- Transfer the batter to a lightly greased 9-inch spring form pan. Bake in preheated 350F oven for about 1 hour, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- For the Cream:
- Whisk the gelatine into 2/4 cup milk in a small pan and cook over low heat until the gelatine has dissolved.
- Meanwhile, beat the ricotta cheese with the powdered sugar for a few minutes, or until smooth.
- Beat in the gelatine mixture into the ricotta, then beat in the whipped cream. Taste the cream to make sure it is sweet enough for you. Add more powdered sugar, if needed.
- Fold the chopped strawberries into the cream.
- To assemble the cake:
- Remove the side ring of the spring form pan. Slice the cake into 3-4 layers, however you prefer.
- Place the bottom layer of the cake back into the spring form pan. Close the ring back around it. This makes it easier to assemble the cake. Layer part of the cream on the bottom cake layer, place another cake layer on top, and repeat with the cream. Continue this way, finishing with the last cake layer on top.
- Place the cake in the fridge for about 2 hours, to let the cream set.
- When ready, melt the chocolate with 1/2 tbsp. shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Brush the top of the cake with the glaze. Place the cake back in the fridge for another hour.
The Cookjuels Clayton, NC
The Rating19 people
Awesome post....Love the combo of chocolate and strawberries....And the ricotta in the filling makes this special...:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
Beautiful pic and great flavor combination to boot! Wonderful recipe. Thanks for the post.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Perfect Julia! This Cake Has Some Great Flavors Goin' On In There. A Great Dessert To 'WOW' The Friends At Church Get-Togethers.
Thnx For Sharing,
Steffgoblue434 in Anniston loved it
Sweet Tooth446 members
Chocolate Dreams352 members
Piece Of Cake374 members
Russian Speakers22 members
Choco Lovers137 members
Russian American Food Lovers35 members
All About Choclate85 members
FROM SCRATCH145 members
Death By Chocolate122 members