HertzoggiesFrom liezel 6 years ago
- 250 g cake flour (half pd or 2 and a quarter cups or 560 ml) shopping list
- 25g granulated sugar (37,5 ml / 3 tablespoons) shopping list
- 10 ml baking powder (2 teaspoons) shopping list
- 1 ml salt (quater teaspoon) shopping list
- 125 g butter or margarine, room temperature(quater pound / 125 ml / half a cup) shopping list
- 3 egg yolks from large eggs shopping list
- 15 ml cold water (3 teaspoons) shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 75 ml smooth apricot jam (6 tablespoons) shopping list
- 3 egg whites shopping list
- 250 g sugar (half a pound / 250 ml / 1 cup) shopping list
- 160 g shredded coconut (6 ounces / 500 ml / 2 cups) shopping list
How to make it
- Sift the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt together.
- Rub the butter lightly with fingertips into the dry ingredients.
- Beat egg yolks and water together.
- Mix in with the rest until a soft dough.
- If the dough is still to stiff, add a bit of water.
- Cover and put aside.
- Pre-heat oven till 180 degrees.
- Grease muffin baking tins.
- Roll out the dough.
- Cut big circles out.
- Lay out the muffin pan with the dough to form a cup.
- Spoon about 5 ml (one teaspoon) of apricot jam in each cup.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Whisk the sugar gradually in until fluffy.
- Mix the coconut in.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the jam to cover.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool before eating.
- Very tasty.
The Cookliezel Bloemfontein, ZA
The Rating4 people
Nice of you to bring this recipe to the Round Table, I am so glad you did for this is a wonderful recipe. I can see that South Africa has a lot to offer me if I ever get to travel there. High Five
Michaeltrigger in loved it
This is my absolute favourite. I only make it twice a year though as I haven't got cold hands and must get up early to make them. Thank goodness for fridges as you need to keep the dough cold.! Thanx for sharing your recipe with ustinadc in Cape Town loved it
Mmmmmmmm... lovely recipe - I can taste them now.lor in Toronto loved it