My Bread PuddingFrom lor 6 years ago
- 4 large eggs + 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 cups whole milk or you can substitute store bought eggnog for the whole milk shopping list
- 2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. good quality bourbon or Irish whiskey shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 12 oz. of quality white bread, about 3/8" thick,in 1-1/2" cubes shopping list
- Note: I use French bread shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter shopping list
- bourbon Sauce: shopping list
- 3/4 cup butter shopping list
- 1 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 2-3 Tbsp. bourbon or Irish whiskey depends on your personal taste shopping list
- In a medium-size saucepan over low heat, melt butter; add sugar and beaten egg, whisking to blend well. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in bourbon to taste; let cool. Whisk and reheat before serving. The sauce should be soft, creamy, and smooth. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the first 8 ingredients together.
- Put the bread and butter together in a large bowl and mix lightly.
- Add the wet mixture to the bread, and let soak for 15-20 minutes
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish or put in muffin cups if you want individual portions.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depends on your oven.
- Look for the custard to solidify, and the top to become a light golden brown.
- If your oven heats hot, you might put your dish in a water bath while cooking, about 1 inch high.
- You can create any number of variations with this recipe.
- Add 2 cups of sauteed apples, or some chocolate chips and coconut with nuts, or sauteed bananas.
- You can make it savory by leaving out the sugar,vanilla and bourbon and adding zucchini and gruyere, or sausages and carmelized onions, any combination you want.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating4 people
Please check your public page for my RAVE! You got my 5,555,555 for this one, lor.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
That's my problem, I never put in the bourbon...dumb me.organicmama in loved it