Roasted Tomatillo Chicken ChiliFrom hotpad 7 years ago
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and washed shopping list
- 1 white onion, peeled, sliced, quartered or whole shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 whole jalapenos (tops removed) shopping list
- olive oil (to drizzle for roasting) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves shopping list
- 1/2 lime, juiced shopping list
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- Two tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 32 oz lower sodium chicken stock, store bought shopping list
- 1 deli roasted chicken (about 3 pounds), boned, meat shredded shopping list
- Two 16 oz cans Pinto or great northern beans (drained and rinsed) shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Chopped cilantro leaves shopping list
- monterey jack cheese, shredded shopping list
- sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a baking dish, place tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapenos. Drizzle and coat with olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes until tomatillos are very soft and everything has golden brown patches.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a food processor (carefully).
- Add the cumin, salt and cilantro and lime juice and pulse mixture until well chopped but still not pureed (won’t take long).
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and caramelized - this should take 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin then cook for a further minute. (Do not burn the garlic)
- Sprinkle on the flour and stir to ensure the flour doesn't burn. Cook for a minute
- Gradually add the chicken stock to make a thin veloute.
- Continue stirring over medium heat until the liquid bubbles and thickens a bit
- Add the roasted tomatillo chile salsa (reserve about a cup for topping)
- Add the beans
- Fold in the shredded chicken meat
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper
- Spoon into bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Place a dollop of sour cream in the center and top with a spoonful of the reserved Tomatillo Chili Salsa.
The Cookhotpad Pasadena, MD
The Rating7 people
Im really into mexican and chicken... wow.... Great recipe..zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
I can't wait to try this, HP....it has my name written all over it. Love the photo of the dish as well. Great post - thanks! I'll report back once I've savored it...lunasea in Orlando loved it
I made this last week and it was just as delicious as I thought it would be. Great recipe - and thanks again! It's a keeper...lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!