Roasted Tomatillo Chicken ChiliFrom hotpad 8 years ago
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and washed shopping list
- 1 white onion, peeled, sliced, quartered or whole shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 whole jalapenos (tops removed) shopping list
- olive oil (to drizzle for roasting) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves shopping list
- 1/2 lime, juiced shopping list
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- Two tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 32 oz lower sodium chicken stock, store bought shopping list
- 1 deli roasted chicken (about 3 pounds), boned, meat shredded shopping list
- Two 16 oz cans Pinto or great northern beans (drained and rinsed) shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Chopped cilantro leaves shopping list
- monterey jack cheese, shredded shopping list
- sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a baking dish, place tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapenos. Drizzle and coat with olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes until tomatillos are very soft and everything has golden brown patches.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a food processor (carefully).
- Add the cumin, salt and cilantro and lime juice and pulse mixture until well chopped but still not pureed (won’t take long).
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and caramelized - this should take 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin then cook for a further minute. (Do not burn the garlic)
- Sprinkle on the flour and stir to ensure the flour doesn't burn. Cook for a minute
- Gradually add the chicken stock to make a thin veloute.
- Continue stirring over medium heat until the liquid bubbles and thickens a bit
- Add the roasted tomatillo chile salsa (reserve about a cup for topping)
- Add the beans
- Fold in the shredded chicken meat
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper
- Spoon into bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Place a dollop of sour cream in the center and top with a spoonful of the reserved Tomatillo Chili Salsa.
People Who Like This Dish 28
The Cookhotpad Pasadena, MD
The Rating8 people
Im really into mexican and chicken... wow.... Great recipe..zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
I can't wait to try this, HP....it has my name written all over it. Love the photo of the dish as well. Great post - thanks! I'll report back once I've savored it...lunasea in Orlando loved it
I made this last week and it was just as delicious as I thought it would be. Great recipe - and thanks again! It's a keeper...lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!