Erins Mile High CheesecakeFrom krumkake 9 years ago
- Graham cracker crust: shopping list
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs shopping list
- 3 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 3 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- cheesecake filling: shopping list
- 2 ½ lbs (5 - 8 ounce blocks) cream cheese, softened (I don’t recommend reduced or no-fat for this one) shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups sugar shopping list
- zest of 1 lemon shopping list
- zest of 1 orange, or 1/2 teaspoon orange extract shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 5 eggs shopping list
- 2 egg yolks, whites discarded shopping list
- ½ cup sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- For crust:
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9” springform pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine graham crumbs, butter and sugar – mix well.
- Press crumbs into bottom and halfway up sides of pan and bake at 375 until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Set aside to cool while you prepare the cheesecake filling.
- NOTE: If you haven't invested in a pestle yet, go out and get yourself one...pressing crusts into pans/muffin tins is SO MUCH easier with that little tool!
- For cheesecake filling:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, sugar, zests, and vanilla - beat until light and creamy.
- Add the flour, then the eggs and the additional yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes at 500. Reduce oven temp to 200 and bake for 1 hour.
- DON'T PANIC when you see how brown the top of the cheesecake becomes...this is what it SHOULD do.
- Turn off the oven and open the oven door - allow cheesecake to cool in the oven for an hour before transferring the pan to a cooking rack to cool completely before refrigerating.
- It is best if refrigerated overnight or at least 10 hours.
- Serve plain or with a strawberry sauce.
- Optional Strawberry Sauce:
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, stem removed, fruit chopped into large chunks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely graeted orange zest
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier liqueur
- In a saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, water, and zest; cook until strawberries are soft and liquid is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the liqueur and cook 1 more minute.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating16 people
WOW, this sounds decadent for sure!! got my 5 for sure!! You have such great recipes!! hugsssssshirleyoma in Cove loved it
5!!!cheryilyn in Salem loved it
Krum....I just went to cheesecake heaven reading this recipe....Thanks...:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!