Making QuarkFrom iris 8 years ago
How to make it
- For making homemade quark you'll need about 2 days. With this recipe you can make about 1 kg ( little over 2 pounds quark). Enough for my cheese cake recipe. The quarks texture is depending on how long you drain the quark. The longer you drain, the drier the quark. If it got to dry just add some milk or whey for making it smooth again. Important: Only use very clean utensils.
- Pour milk ( in my experience 2 % or higher works best) in a large bowl. Use a plastic bowl with lid. No stainless steel bowls! Add buttermilk and stir, using a wooden spoon.
- Cover bowl with lid and let stand at room temperature (72 F) for 2 days. Do not move the bowl to achieve best results.
- After 2 days you've got soured milk. Place bowl (still covered with lid) on a dishtowel lined baking sheet. Put it in the middle rung of the oven. Set temperature to 90 F and heat for about 2 hours. Now the whey splits from the quark. The whey is yellowish-green in color.
- Line a strainer with a cheesecloth and put in a bowl. Using a slotted spoon, fill quark in strainer.
- Tie cheesecloth and strain quark by hanging it in a cool place. (the cooler the better) Keep the whey for a healthy drink if desired.
- After the quark is drained store it in the refrigerator for up to 6 days, depending on the room temperature where the quark was drained.
The Cookiris Cocoa, FL
The Rating4 people
I have been looking 4 this 4 so long!! Thank you so very muchcherihannah in Shickshinny loved it
Thanks for the recipe! My grandfather made this alot and even sewed a muslin triangle to put the quark into - he'd twist the top and press it overnight between two boards - this way you can slice it in the morning and it's drier and harder. We'd have...moreeyecook in Ironwood loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!