Mama Georgias Greek Best BaklavaFrom greekgirrrl 5 years ago
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 3/4 cup better-brand honey shopping list
- 2 tablespoons brandy shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon shopping list
- 4 cups finely chopped lightly toasted hazelnuts shopping list
- 4 cups finely chopped lightly toasted almonds shopping list
- 4 cups finely chopped walnuts shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo dough, thawed shopping list
- 1 pound unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- whole cloves shopping list
How to make it
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Immediately remove from heat; cool syrup completely.
- Combine all the nuts and next 3 ingredients, stirring well.
- Cut phyllo sheets in half crosswise; cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out..
- Brush 2 (13- x 9- x 2-inch) baking pans with melted butter. Place 8 phyllo sheets in 1 pan, brushing each sheet with butter; top with 2 cups nut mixture.
- Place 3 phyllo sheets over nut mixture, brushing each sheet with butter; top with 2 cups nut mixture. Repeat with 3 more phyllo sheets and 2 cups nut mixture; top with 6 phyllo sheets, brushing all but the top sheet with butter. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets, butter, and nut mixture in second pan.
- Cut layers diagonally into 3/4-inch diamonds; gently brush with remaining butter. Insert a clove in center of each diamond.
- Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Remove from oven, and pour syrup evenly over baklava. Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
- Cut again diagonally; remove from pans, and store in airtight containers at room temperature. Can also be frozen and thawed for later use.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating21 people
Oh GF - I wish I could give you 20 forks for this one. Besides the fact that I love. love, love Baklava, your stunning picture and ingredient guest list knocks my socks off. Look at that nut combo - w.o.w. Thanks hon - printing this one off to tr...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
WOW....:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
Helene!! This sounds and looks just too damm good. Are you SURE your mother doesn't have some Lebanese blood in her?? Maybe she got this recipe out of an old Lebanese cookbook.... LOL
Your photo is so amazing. I found myself wanting to...morejimrug1 in Peoria loved it
Mediterannean Cuisine135 members
I Have A Request155 members
From Middle Eastern Lands253 members
THE COMPLAINT DEPT158 members
Greek Foods145 members
Checkin Central283 members
Coffee Talk123 members
Made With Phyllo50 members
Friends In The Kitchen312 members