Lebanese Rice DressingFrom jimrug1 8 years ago
- 2 Tbls clarified butter shopping list
- 1 lb course ground lamb shoulder (you can use course ground chuck) shopping list
- 2 cups long-grain rice (Use a Rice that does not stick together once cooked) shopping list
- 3 cups (or more) chicken stock (Homemade Stock is a must. See below.) shopping list
- 1-2 Tsp sea salt (to taste) shopping list
- 1 Tsp fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- ½ Tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- ¼ Tsp ground nutmeg shopping list
- ¼ cup vacuum packed chestnuts chopped (Canned will work but vacuum packed are much tastier) shopping list
- ¼ cup peeled almonds, blanched shopping list
- ¼ cup pine nuts shopping list
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts, shelled shopping list
- ¼ cup golden raisins shopping list
- ********************* shopping list
- chicken stock shopping list
- (1) 4 – 5 lb roasting chicken shopping list
- 1 large cinnamon stick shopping list
- 1 large stock of celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 ½ Tsp sea salt shopping list
- fresh ground pepper to taste. shopping list
How to make it
- For the stock. 1 Day Ahead
- In a large stock pot, place Chicken, Cinnamon stick, Salt & Pepper in just enough “cold” water cover the Chicken. Bring very slowly to a slow simmer. Cook very slowly for about 1 ½ hrs. Remove the Chicken from the pot. Cool until you can remove the meat from the bones. Reserve meat for another recipe.
- Return the bones to the pot and add Celery, Onion and Garlic. Simmer slowly for another 1 1/2 – 2 hrs. Strain and chill if you are not using it the same day. You want to have at least 5-6 cups of rich stock. (It should look like jelly when chilled. If you have a lot more than 6 cups or it seems to weak. Reduce it down.
- Rice Dressing
- Soak Rice in enough water to cover for 15 - 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- Place 1 Tbls of Clarified Butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the Pine Nuts and cook until they reach a medium brown color. Add the Lamb and cook, stirring often until the meat is brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in Rice, 1 teaspoon Salt, Pepper, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. Sauté until Rice is translucent. Stir in Chicken Stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15 – 20 minutes until most of the Broth is absorbed.
- During the cooking, add a little more Stock if the mixture seems too dry. You want the mixtre to be moist but not soupy. Add more Salt and Cinnamon to taste if necessary. Remove from heat and leave covered.
- Place remaining Clarified Butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in Chestnuts. Cook 1 minute, then stir in the Almonds, and Pistachios. Cook until nuts are lightly browned. Stir in Raisins and remove from heat.
- To Serve: Arrainge Rice Dressing on its own platter, Top with the browned Nuts, Raisins and any remaining Butter
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating18 people
Some days, I feel like you post these recipes just for me!
Boofieboofie in Salt Lake City loved it
No Boofie, it's not just for you!
This recipe is beautiful! I can just imagine the smell as it cooking. I am just about to post a moroccan chicken and couscous recipe; I think you'll like that one too :-)
p.s. Is this the one yo...moreluisascatering in San Carlos loved it
Oh honey is this beautiful! This is like a 2for1 deal - not only do you get the chicken stock recipe, but then you give us the rice recipe! I can just about smell this throughout the whole house as it cooks! Please enter it in the monthly contest, L...moreangelinaw in St Louis loved it