Sous AkA Head cheeseFrom jenniferbyrdez 8 years ago
- 4 to 5 lb. pork butt Or shoulder and 4 or 5 pigs feet or shopping list
- 2 beef tongues and 5 or 6 pigs feet shopping list
- water to cover shopping list
- 2 large onions shopping list
- 1 cup celery/diced fine shopping list
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley shopping list
- 1 cup red or green bell pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions shopping list
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (your brand) shopping list
- s and p and cayenne to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In large pot, place all of the ingredients. Add enough water to cover and bring to rolling boil. Skim offf all foam & impurities during the first half hour or so of cooking.
- Turn heat to med. low and cook until meat is tender and pulling away from the bone (appt. 2 1/2 hrs.)
- Remove all meat from pot and lay out on a flat baking pan to cool.
- Remove 6 cups of cooking stock and return to a low boil. Boil for 3 min. and remove from heat. Season to taste using salt and cracked black pepper.
- Add dissolved gelatin and set aside.
- Once meat has cooled, remove all bones and finely chop meat.
- Place equal amounts of meat in 2 loaf pans (or molds) and ladle in hot seasoned stock. The mixture should be meaty with just enough stock to gel and hold together.
- Cover with clear wrap and place in frig. overnight.
- Serve with good crackers or bread.
- Invite all your friends over and don't tell them what it is until after they have tasted it.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookjenniferbyrdez Kenner, LA
The Rating18 people
Daring recipe! :) For those who like this form of cuisine, wonderful combinations.noir in Boston loved it
more than one way to behead a hog! To be(head) or not be(head) Joymariemystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
This sounds great,I love souse or head cheese,what ever. When I make it( slightly Different ingredients) the water used to cook the feet and hock has enough gelitin in it to set the meat when cold.the fat rises to the top and is easily removed.Will s...morerobertg in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!