REAL and I mean REAL German Chocolate CakeFrom greekgirrrl 5 years ago
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, squeezed dry and finely chopped shopping list
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans shopping list
- FILLING/FROSTING: shopping list
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted shopping list
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise* shopping list
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut, divided shopping list
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, divided shopping list
How to make it
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water.
- Fold in sauerkraut, coconut and pecans.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking
- Bake at 350 º for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks; cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine melted chocolate and mayonnaise.
- Set aside 1-1/4 cups for frosting.
- To the remaining chocolate mixture, add half of the coconut and pecans; spread between cake layers.
- Spread reserved chocolate mixture over top and sides of cake. Combine remaining coconut and pecans; press onto sides of cake.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Slice with a serrated knife.
People Who Like This Dish 113
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating48 people
I have made this cake "torta" many times - this was a recipe that was handed down to me from my grandmother - almost identical - I have her recipes hand written in german and am translating them - so what a great post!!!!ravenseyes in Belcamp loved it
YUM! I love german chocolate and this sounds wonderful!vickycummins in Munster loved it
This not only looks fabulous but sounds the same. Love it, great post. You have my 5 alsohenrie in Savannah loved it
German GermanAmerican Food154 members
Checkin Central282 members
Friends In The Kitchen312 members
TRAILER PARK BRAWLERS49 members
Heat In The Kitchen314 members
Look At Me Recipes85 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
Grouprecipes Rocks149 members
Checkins Round Table39 members
Just A Chat21 members