Crispy Eggplant Fritters with Smoked MozzarellaFrom lunasea 7 years ago
- 2 large eggplants (2 pounds total) shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided shopping list
- olive oil (for brushing and frying) shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (a combination of Parmesan and asiago cheeses works well, too) shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups plain dry breadcrumbs, divided shopping list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour shopping list
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 20 cubes) shopping list
- ~~~~ shopping list
- Note: Feel free to play with your herb mix here. I've used thyme, oregano and basil with the Italian parsley and they all play well together. Just chop them up fine....and use fresh herbs if you possibly can. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place on layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand 30 minutes.
- Brush 2 large baking sheets with oil.
- Pat eggplant dry; arrange in single layer on prepared sheets. Brush lightly with oil. Bake until eggplant is tender and dry, about 1 hour. Cool slightly; chop coarsely.
- Whisk 1 egg, grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl.
- Stir in chopped eggplant (mixture will be soft).
- Spread 1 cup breadcrumbs on plate.
- Whisk 1 egg and flour in another bowl.
- Press and shape eggplant mixture into 1 1/4 -inch-diameter balls. Press 1 piece smoked mozzarella into center of each ball, making sure eggplant mixture covers cheese.
- Dip balls, 1 at a time, into egg batter; roll in breadcrumbs to coat.
- Pour enough oil into large skillet to reach depth of 1/4 inch; heat over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add balls to skillet; sauté until browned, turning often, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with salt while warm and serve.
The Cooklunasea Orlando, FL
The Rating23 people
FABULOUS! Love this. Gets my high 5!sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
This is not good. I've been away from my computer for awhile and I come online and "BOOM", soooooo many recipes are calling to me!!! This happens to be one of them and most definitely deserves a "5" fork rating!!! Cheers!!!lor in Toronto loved it
Vickie Dear, these look great I'm on my way to the store in a few minutes and I'm glad I checked the site first. Thanks.mao65 in Griffith loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!