Roasted Beet SaladFrom jimrug1 7 years ago
- 1 cup walnuts shopping list
- ¼ cup olive oil shopping list
- ½ lb Haricots Verts (or very thin green beans) shopping list
- 4 leeks, thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only) shopping list
- ¼ cup sherry wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 Tsp Dijon mustard shopping list
- ¾ cup grapeseed oil (or Canola) shopping list
- ¼ cup cold pressed walnut oil shopping list
- ¼ Tsp salt or to taste shopping list
- 4 medium beets, roasted and chopped into ½ inch dice shopping list
- 2 heads Belgium endive, julienned lengthwise into ½ inch strips (or substitute Bib lettuce cut the same way) shopping list
- ¼ lb blue cheese (Roquefort ) cut into 12 pieces shopping list
- fresh ground black pepper to taste. shopping list
How to make it
- ROASTED BEETS (Can be done the night before)
- Wash beets well and cut off all but about ½ inch of the stem. Brush with Olive Oil, season with Salt & Pepper and wrap each Beet separately in a foil pouch inserting a sprig of thyme in each pouch. Bake at 325 – 350 degrees until fork tender. (1 – 1 ½ hrs.) Cool, remove skin and dice. Place in a bowl, cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 45 mins.
- TOASTED NUTS
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread Walnuts on a sheet pan and roast until they are aromatic but don’t allow to brown. (3 – 5 mins). Transfer to a dish, reserve.
- BEANS & LEEKS
- In a large bowl, prepare a ice water bath. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the Haricot Verts and cook until crisp tender. (5 – 10 mins) Plunge cooked beans in ice water until cold. Drain, pat dry and reserve. Add leeks to the still boiling water and cook until they have lost their crunch. (10 – 15 min) Revive in the ice water, drain and reserve.
- SALAD DRESSING
- Combine the Vinegar and Mustard in a bowl, wisk in the Grapeseed and Walnut Oils. Season with the ¼ Tsp of Salt and a few grinds of Black Pepper.
- Combine the Leeks and the chilled Beets, season with Salt & Pepper, toss in about ¾ cup of the salad dressing. In a separate bowl, season the Haricot Verts with salt and toss to coat in about ¼ cup of the dressing.
- To Serve: With the Leek-Beet mixture, make a bed on 6 individual plates and top each with a bundle of Haricot Verts.
- Make a tiny puddle of dressing in a small bowl. Divide Endive into 6 small bouquets. Take each bouquet by the stem end and swirl it in the dressing to lightly coat and place within the bundles of Haricot Verts. Arrange two pieces of Blue Cheese on each plate and top with a few toasted Walnuts.
- ( I used blanched chives to tie the bundles of beans and Endive bouquets together.)
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating13 people
Oh wow....Jim, you rock! This is indeed one sexy, beautiful and flavorful salad. I am almost overwhelmed with the ingredient mix here - so many of my favorites. I adore beets, haricot verts, leeks, endive, Roquefort and walnuts with that delightfu...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
And wrapped with blanched chives?...you're off the charts, hon. Wow....lunasea in Orlando loved it
Great salad.....Thanks..zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!